Denise Goldberg's blog

What's in that trailer? Or in those panniers?
Self-contained bicycle touring, a packing list

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Things I thought I needed : But I was wrong!

Yes, even with my experience touring, sometimes extra stuff finds it's way into my trailer (or panniers). Here are the items that I've sent home from tours. Well, actually, as I initially write this, there were all sent home from my cross-country trip...

Extra bike parts - like spare brake and derailleur cables, and spare brake blocks. One day this might bite me, but so far I've been fine. I always make sure to check my bike out before I start, tune it up, and repair / replace anything that is questionable.

A pair of long pants on my very hot summer cross-country trip. I figured if I was cold I could always were my rain pants.

Rain pants OK, I didn't really send these home, but after wearing them in a downpour, I decided I didn't like the feeling of the rain pants since they managed to stick to my legs - so on later trips I carried tights instead. They aren't waterproof, but they do add some warmth.

Cooking gear I've actually cooked on some tours, but cross-country trip became a funky restaurant / diner trip. I eventually sent the stove, pans, and cooking supplies home. Will I take another camping and cooking trip in the future? It's possible, but I think that will depend on where I'm touring.