Denise Goldberg's blog

What's in that trailer? Or in those panniers?
Self-contained bicycle touring, a packing list

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The bike and bike-related

And as to my mascot? What do you mean Rover isn't bike-related?

The Trip Mascot

I went on my first two solo trips without a mascot, but as I started on my cross-country trip back in 2002, Rover jumped into the trailer in Burlington, Vermont on a cold, rainy June day. He is a little red dog, a mini Beanie Baby. Every trip has to have a mascot, and Rover is a good companion. He makes me laugh, and I don't have to carry extra food for him since he's happy to share mine!

Of course Rover goes on tour with me. He says that he makes sure to get in a lot of exercise running or cycling in place) as we ride so he can eat chocolate all day without adding any weight to the load on the bike!

And although he looks pretty big in this close-up shot, Rover asked me to tell you that he is really tiny, and he weighs next to nothing!


The all-important bike stuff!
  • My bike of choice for the trip, set up with Speedplay Frog pedals

  • Bicycle computer - always a wireless computer, but the brand depends on which bike. I've found that at some point - more often than I'd like - I need to replace these computers. They are pretty low cost items, and somehow, sometimes, they stop working and just won't start again even with a new battery. This behavior doesn't appear to be brand-related, but who knows! Anyway, my touring bikes currently sport computers from Specialized or Cateye.

  • Cable lock - I know, I know, it's not as good as a U lock, but it does fit around a tree, a park bench, or other odd-shaped things! I don't use the lock often, but I use it often enough to not question the weight.

  • Bike Friday travel trailer if traveling with my Air Glide, or panniers if traveling with my Peter Mooney purple bike

  • Topeak Road Morph frame pump - Carries like a frame pump, but works like a floor pump, plus a Presta to Schraeder valve adapter just in case I need to borrow a pump. Not likely now that I carry the Road Morph, but I often used it before the Road Morph when I'd stop in out-of-the-way bike shops to borrow their shop pump. Seems very funny to me, but some of the small shops only had a pumt that could handle a Schraeder valve.

  • For helping to keep me healthy and hydrated
    • Water bottles - used for Gatorade or other sports drink. My choice of bottles is dependent on what fits on the bike that is traveling with me. If I'm traveling on my Peter Mooney bike I take 2 large and 1 small water bottles. If I'm traveling on my Air Glide I take 2 small water bottles.
    • Camelbak with 70 ounce bladder - used for water.


  • A map case that I can attach to the handlebars. It's handy for both maps and directions. If you're looking for a map case, I purchased mine from Adventure Cycling. (If this link doesn't get you to the map case, go to http://www.adventurecycling.org/, then go to the online store, and look under equipment, accessories.)

  • Spare parts
    • 3 spare tubes for bicycle + patch kit
    • 1 spare tire for bicycle - definitely if I'm traveling on the Bike Friday, sometimes if I'm traveling on the Peter Mooney. It's easier to find tires for 700C wheels than it is to find reasonable tires for a 406 wheel!
    • 1 spare tube & 1 spare tire for trailer - if I'm traveling with the trailer
    • Spare spokes


  • Tools
    • Topeak Alien multi-tool
    • separate spoke wrench, tire levers
    • A pedal wrench. I don't want to have to rely on finding a bike shop at the end of my trip to remove the pedals so I can pack the bike! I have a 2 pedal wrenches - a great heavy-duty one that allows me to usually successfully remove the pedals (recommended by the mechanics at Belmont Wheelworks to break my syndrome of not being able to remove the pedals), and a light one that might require me to borrow some strength from someone else. I take the light one with me when I travel... I can always ask for help if I can't budge the pedals, but at least I'll have an appropriate tool!

  • Keeping clean & lubed
    • Small container of citrus degreaser
    • Lube and grease for bike