Denise Goldberg's blog

What's in that trailer? Or in those panniers?
Self-contained bicycle touring, a packing list

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Oh, but on this trip : I'll be camping!

I haven't been camping on my recent tours, but I'm sure that I'll get back to it one of these days!

Shelter & sleep

Cooking gear

Yes, there have been trips where I've actually cooked.

I started out on my 2002 cross-country trip with the intent of camping and cooking, but I ended up not really doing either. I kept the tent and sleeping bag "just in case", and I was glad I did, but I ended up shipping my unused cooking gear home from Pueblo, Colorado. Most of it that is - it's not possible to ship fuel. I took the fuel bottle to the Great Divide bike shop, and left it as a donation for either an employee or for another cyclist passing through. They were happy to take it as a donation for a cyclist in need.

  • MSR Dragonfly stove - http://www.msrcorp.com/. This is a stove that can use many different types of fuel, including unleaded gasoline! A multi-fuel makes the most sense to me since I have no idea what type of fuel will be available in small quantities. Gasoline is easy, but cleaner fuels like white gas are hard to get in small quantities.
  • 11 ounce fuel bottle
  • 2 titanium pots, nested: one medium, one small
  • 1 small 8-ounce insulated cup and 1 (titanium) Sierra cup. I know this seems a little odd, but I used the insulated cup for beverages and the Sierra cup for food. That way I could have hot tea along with my morning oatmeal! It's amazing the little things that make me happy, isn't it?
  • titanium fork & spoon

Miscellaneous stuff
  • Medium size travel towel - my current preference is for the Aquis brand, a microfiber towel that packs small and dries fast
  • Swiss army knife
  • Petzl Tikka LED headlamp + extra batteries
  • Bug stuff
  • zip-lock bags
  • several small packets of Kleenex
  • 2 webbing straps to attach items to rear rack or to the trailer
  • 2 bungie cords to attach drying clothes to the trailer
  • Extra dry sack (stuff sack) & line for hanging food in trees at night