Denise Goldberg's blog

What's in that trailer? Or in those panniers?
Self-contained bicycle touring, a packing list

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The bikes and how I'll haul my gear on each

In addition to having the happy problem of having a choice between two purple touring bikes when I head out on my trips, I also believe in fitting the manner of hauling my gear to the tour that I'm planning. If you've read my Panniers, a trailer, both? article, you already know that I have a preference for hauling my gear in a trailer on a fully loaded tour. I started in this wonderful world of self-supported touring using panniers, but as I migrated to touring on a folding bike (for ease of non-biking transportation), I also started using a trailer. You'll still see me riding with panniers on some trips though.

My choice of bike for the tour - as well as my choice of using either
panniers or a trailer - changes my gear list somewhat.


Purple bike number one - loaded with front & rear panniers, with sleeping bag and tent attached to the top of the rear rack. I'm more likely to use this bike when I can roll out of my door on my bike and return the same way - or when I'm using my car to get to a starting/ending point for my tour. This picture is from my very first loaded tour before I was introduced to getting the load off of the bike by using a trailer...


Purple bike number two - hauling a suitcase trailer that is also the bike case. This is the bike of choice for trips involving an airplane to get to my tour - no excess baggage fees with this bike folded and packed into its suitcase. If I'm planning a point to point tour I'll definitely be hauling the trailer. If I'm planning a credit-card, lightweight tour beginning and ending in the same spot, I might use panniers instead. You might see me on this bike with the trailer plus small panniers on trips when I'm camping and cooking since I don't want fuel or food smells in with my clothing, tent, and sleeping bag.


If I'm using panniers, I pack in Ortlieb waterproof panniers. I purchased my panniers back in 1998 and the models and names have changed since then. I own Bike-Packer Lite back panniers, and Mini-Biker Lite front panniers. I use a single front pannier (on the rear rack) to carry my work clothes when I commute by bike, and I use both of my front panniers on the rear if I'm planning a really light-weight credit card tour and I don't think I need to space in the (larger) rear panniers. The rack I use for my panniers depends on the bike:
For traveling with a trailer, I pack the bike in my Bike Friday bike case, and my other traveling belongings in a very lightweight duffle bag. After I get to my biking destination, I take the bike out of the case, attach the trailer frame and tires to the case, and attach the trailer to the bike. The contents of the duffle jump into the trailer, and I'm ready to ride. Magic!