Denise Goldberg's blog

What's in that trailer? Or in those panniers?
Self-contained bicycle touring, a packing list

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

And this time I'll be staying in one of those other places...

That begins with an H... Hostels!

There are just a couple of items that I need when I'm staying at a hostel. Some hostels or backpacker lodges provide sheets, and some don't. Some allow sleeping bags, some don't...

  • Sleep sack. The simplest sleep sacks are cotton, but you know me, I just seem to need to be different. I carry a silk sleep sack (from DreamSack) - very lightweight, machine washable, and comfy!

  • Sleeping bag instead of a sleep sack. Many hostels state that they do not allow sleeping bags, but I've never been stopped from using one. And occasionally sleeping bags are recommended by the hostels. When I was planning a trip in the Canadian Rockies, two of the hostels were classified as wilderness hostels. The confirmation email I got from one of them said "this is a rustic hostel which means there is no running water and no indoor plumbing. So it may be a good idea to bring a sleeping bag and a flashlight". OK, I guess I'll bring a sleeping bag. I had a good sleeping bag, North Face Blue Kazoo which weighs 3 pounds. That was light when I bought it. But for my (canceled 2004) trip I splurged and bought a new sleeping bag. My Mountain Hardware Phantom 32 sleeping bag weighs a very little 1 pound 5 ounces!

  • Travel towel. Again, my towel of choice is an Aquis Medium Adventure Towel.

  • A small combination lock can be useful if you're staying more than 1 night and want to lock some stuff up since there are often lockable storage drawers under the bunks. Some hostels also have lockers.